My Message as a Patient
- As a patient, I cherish the freedom to choose a healthcare professional who adheres to life-affirming standards of care.
- I want my healthcare professional to remain free to care for me according to time-tested patient-protecting standards such as the Hippocratic Oath, moral and religious principles, the Nuremberg Code and other longstanding standards of medical ethics.
- I oppose taxpayer-funded abortions, mandating participation in abortion and any unlawful discrimination and intolerant coercion that threaten women's access to healthcare by forcing life-affirming healthcare professionals, hospitals and clinics to choose between violating ethical commitments or leaving the practice of medicine.
- I support laws, regulations and policies that protect and preserve the freedom of healthcare professionals to care for patients without being forced to participate in abortion and other ethically controversial practices.
- Removing the federal civil rights regulation noted below, which protects such professionals from discrimination, will negatively impact my access to the healthcare professionals of my choosing.
Therefore, I urge the President, officers of his administration and Members of Congress to protect my freedom to choose life-affirming healthcare professionals--by preserving existing federal civil rights laws and the existing U.S. Department of Health and Human Services regulation (published 12/19/2008) that implements those laws, and by specifically excluding abortion in healthcare reform legislation.