Laws - Charities
Members of Congress have proposed charitable gift deduction cuts that would severely harm giving, charities and those they serve. Killing tax breaks for donations to charities would hurt donors, cripple faith-based charities and deprive those they serve of desperately needed services. A person gives from the heart, of course, but tax policies can significantly influence how much donors feel able to give.
We need to explain clearly and quickly why the following proposed cuts to charitable giving would harm millions of American. The way to preserve the vital personal and social services provided by charitable institutions to those in need is to preserve the tax benefits for citizens who give sacrificially of their income to charities to provide those services.
Use these resources to learn more and take action:
- CapWiz legislative action alert with easy-to-use form to contact legislators:
Preserve Charitable Gift Tax Deduction: http://f2c.capwiz.com/f2c/issues/alert/?alertid=62783181
- Web page of background information and analysis:
Laws - Charitable giving: http://www.freedom2care.org/learn/page/laws-charities
- Blog postings explaining the issue:
- Re-tweetable Tweet:
Tell Congress not to cut aid to needy by cutting gift tax deduction
- Read news stories about: charities, taxes
- Religious Charities Ask Congress To Save Charitable Deduction in Tax Overhaul - Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Letter explaining the Senate Finance Committee's "blank slate" approach to cutting tax deductions
- Senate Finance Chairman Baucus's statement about the committee's announcement