Enforcing the Law: HHS Conscience and Religious Freedom Division


In January 2018, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced the formation of a new Conscience and Religious Freedom Division in the HHS Office for Civil Rights.


How to File a Conscience Complaint

Have you experienced discrimination over conscience or religious freedom issues? As a result of conscience or religious faith issues, you might have been:

  • Fired
  • Pressured to participate in a conscientiously objectionable action or referral
  • Denied privileges
  • Denied admission to an educational or training program
  • Denied tenure
  • Penalized, pressured or subjected to any other form of discrimination based on your conscience and religious convictions

Filing a complaint is simple and straightforward: You simply relate your story of what happened—who, what, when, where. You can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office for Civil Rights online or via mail, fax or email. Even if your story occurred decades ago, you can still report it, since investigating conscience discrimination cases is not legally constrained by a lapse of time.

Note: Before you file with HHS, consider seeking legal help.

Additional Resources